In this Podcast, the founder and host Laura Shin interviews Brian Brooks, the current United States Acting Comptroller of Currency and former Chief Legal Officer at cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase.
● Whether or not banks have always had the authority to custody crypto for their customers.
● How he expects things to unfold in the coming years as banks begin to become more involved in crypto custody.
● His thoughts on Kraken and others launching crypto banks and whether it will lead to the founding of other crypto banks.
● Whether or not OCC regulations cover DeFi, and the regulatory challenges that open-source protocols present.
● Whether he sees a time when governments and regulators participate in the governance of crypto platforms.
● What roles he thinks public and private sectors, as well as commercial banks, should play in the creation of a central bank digital currency.
● How U.S. regulators can offer more clarity to the crypto industry.
● How he thinks about the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, its effect on the economy, and the government’s response through stimulus will affect the crypto industry.